If every single pair of plus size jeans you have ever tried on were too long for you, I have some news: You might be petite and plus size. If you’re wondering what petite and plus size is, don’t worry! I have the perfect explanation for you! And, hello, I’m Natalie. I am 5’2 and size 18, which means that I am plus size and petite. I just got back from American Eagle where I was on the hunt for their size 18 jeans with a short inseam, and my experience got me thinking, “Where can I buy petite plus size jeans?” So, I did some digging, and I found some great places to shop for petite plus size jeans.
But let’s talk about being petite and plus size for a second.
What is petite plus size?
Petite and plus size are two different terms used in the fashion industry to describe two different body types. However, they can be used together. Petite sizes are for women who have shorter legs and arms and they usually stand under 5’4. And plus size clothing is for women who wear a size 14 or higher.
Petite plus sizes have been around for a while, but there aren’t as many petite plus sizes as there are straight size clothing, petite clothing, or plus size clothing. However, we have seen a push for more petite plus size clothing since the average woman’s body type has changed and visibility around different body types has been improved. The average woman is now a size 16, which is plus size. And the average height of women today stands just below 5’4. Now, I am not the best at math, but I believe this means that the average woman is both petite and plus size.
So, if you’re under 5’4 and you wear a size 14 or larger, you’re petite and plus size—just like me!
Does the world make a lot more sense now?
While this may be a relief to you, I have some rather unsettling news, too. Petite plus size clothing isn’t easy to find. In fact, only a handful of brands have a dedicated petite plus size section and most brands only carry petite sizing up to a size 18, which isn’t inclusive at all. However, there are some brands that carry petite plus size dresses and other styles. So, we aren’t totally out of luck! And even more importantly, there are quite a few plus size brands where we can shop for women’s short jeans.
The best petite plus size jeans for short women
As I mentioned above, you probably have a really hard time finding a pair of jeans or pants that aren’t too long on you. Same here! I just got back from a trip to Old Navy and American Eagle because I heard that they have plus size jeans with a short inseam. I had to give their petite plus jeans a try and check out what the shopping experience was like in store. Long story short, I had a hard time finding a size 18 with a short inseam in both stores. However, they obviously have these sizes online!
Here are the brands I can recommend that carry petite plus size jeans. (There may be other brands out there like Loft or Madewell, but they don’t carry past a size 18 and that excludes a lot of folks.):
- Eloquii: Eloquii sells some of my most favorite petite and plus size jeans. With most of their bottoms, you can select a short inseam along with your size. Not only is this nice because I don’t have to get their bottoms altered, but their pants also fit me so well.
- Abercrombie & Fitch: If you didn’t know you could shop for petite and plus size jeans at Abercrombie, you’re not the only one! I recently learned that Abercrombie’s plus size jeans can be ordered in an extra short or short inseam. I wear a size 35 short!
- Old Navy: I have always loved Old Navy, but I love them even more now because they have plus size short jeans. You can easily find your next pair of jeans by clicking the link I just shared or navigating to the jeans section and then under “Size” on the left sidebar, you will scroll down and click “short” under “Inseam.” They have a short inseam for sizes 00-30 in every denim style you could think of! Kudos, Old Navy! We love ya!
- American Eagle: I’ll be honest, I haven’t shopped at American Eagle since high school. However, when I heard that they also have jeans with a short inseam, I ran! To get to the short jeans, click on the link I just shared or go to American Eagle’s website and click on their “Women’s Jeans” tab. Then, on the left sidebar, you will find an option for “Size” and you can click on your size with a short inseam right there.
- Universal Standard: I really love shopping at Universal Standard because they carry petite plus size jeans that fit so well and are very comfortable. Most of their denim styles come with a short inseam as an option, but to make shopping simpler, click on their denim tab, then go to the sidebar under “Features” and click “short inseam.”
- Avenue: Avenue is the spot when it comes to short jeans for plus size women—they have an entire section devoted to us! Click the link I just shared to go right to the section.
- Torrid: Torrid‘s Bombshell Skinny Jeans are my holy grail! I absolutely love the way they fit, and I always have the option to order the curvy jeans with a short inseam. Shop their petite plus size denim by clicking the link I just shared!
- Macy’s: Macy‘s always have petite plus sizes covered—especially when it comes to jeans. Click the link I just shared to go right to their petite plus size jeans.
- Talbots: I have personally tried Talbot’s petite plus size jeans, and they fit so well! To check out these jeans, click the link I just shared!
- Amazon: I was recently doing some digging to find more petite plus size pants when I stumbled across petite and plus size pants on Amazon. From work pants to leggings, it’s all there!
- Woman Within: While some styles might seem a little dates, Woman Within’s petite plus size pants are perfect for work or lounging!
Hopefully, you have just found your new favorite pair of jeans! I have also included a shoppable widget below with all of the petite plus size denim I could find!
As more visibility is created around the many different kinds of body types, I hope there will be more clothing options out there for us petite plus size folks! As always, if you have any questions, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or DM me on Instagram!