|Natalie wears Eloquii jeans that came in an ankle fit, but were the perfect length.|
Have you been hearing the term “petite and plus size” a lot more lately? If so, you might be wondering what these two terms paired together mean. Historically, plus size clothing and petite clothing have been on the opposite side of the sizing spectrum. Here’s why…
Petite sizing is for women who stand under 5’3. There is a common misconception that petite clothing was only made for slim or slender people, but that’s just simply not true. Petite clothing was made specifically for people with short torso’s, arms, and legs. Most petite clothing lines don’t go above a size 12, which tends to be the start of most plus size collections. However, there are a few brands that sell a petite size 14-18 and XXL, which is technically petite and plus size. Whereas plus size clothing is made for women who or curvier or more full figured. Plus size collections usually start at a size 12 and go all the way up to a size 32.
What does petite plus size mean?
So what does this sizing term mean? A true petite and plus size offering is made for women who stand under 5’4 and range from sizes 12-32. Me, personally, I am a size 18 and I stand at 5’2, which means that I am petite and plus size.
As I touched on above, there is some overlap when it comes to petite clothing and plus size clothing, but it is extremely rare. However, there are more petite plus size brands to shop that are creating clothing for women who are both short and curvy today. And I only expect for the term petite plus to grow since the average American woman is a size 18 and stands under 5’4.
Am I plus size and petite?
If you stand under 5’4 and you usually shop in the plus size section, then you are not only plus size but you’re likely also petite. Since I can remember, pants have always been too long for me and I have had to get all of my favorite bottoms hemmed and tailored. When I was a kid and knew nothing about a tailor, I used to wear jeans and let them drag. They would fray at the ends and holes would soon destroy my favorite pairs. When I would shop—even up until recently—I always told myself that I was just weirdly built and that I would never be able to find clothing that fit me perfectly because of my curves and my height. But now, as an empowered shopper, I know that I deserve clothing that fits my short and curvy figure perfectly. I first realized that I was both plus size and petite when I saw that Talbots had a section that was labeled just that. However, determining your size isn’t always as clear-cut. So, here are a few other circumstances that can help you determine if you are petite and plus size:
- When you try on plus size bottoms, they are often way too long.
- You find that work pants, jeans, skirts, shorts and other bottoms fit you oddly.
- The sleeves and bodice of your favorite plus size shirts, sweaters, and blouses are too long.
- Pants that have a cropped or ankle fit are the perfect fit for you.
- You often roll or cuff jeans, leggings, and pants so that they don’t drag.
- Maxi dresses are usually too long and drag.
- You have to get all of your pants professionally tailored and hemmed.
- Longer tunics and shirts could easily pass for a dress.
- Leggings and jeggings bunch at your ankles.
- High waisted skirts and jeans are often too high waisted for you and sit right under your bust.
- Midi skirts could easily be maxi skirts on your figure.
Where to buy petite plus size clothes?
I know we will see more brands starting to adopt sizing and clothing to meet our needs soon. Here are some of the brands that either carries a dedicated petite plus size line or they have “petite” or “short” inseam options for most of their plus sizes. I will list these in order from the brands I love and have tried before to the brands I haven’t tried yet.
- Universal Standard: Universal Standard has the best plus size pants and plus size jeans that are also petite!
- Lane Bryant: From plus size and petite dresses to jeans, Lane Bryant has a variety of petite and plus size options.
- Torrid: Torrid‘s plus size jeans and leggings always fit me perfectly because they can be ordered with a short inseam!
- Abercrombie & Fitch: Yes, I shop at Abercrombie & Fitch! Here is why: Abercrombie’s plus size jeans can be ordered with an extra short or short inseam. I love the Curve Love line. Watch me try on Abercrombie Curve Love Jeans!
- Hollister: I see the look on your face, but I am not joking! Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister have come quite a long way since the days when their stores were all about exclusion. These brands are both becoming more inclusive and they are some of the only brands that offer a “short” AND “extra short” inseam option for pants and dresses. I also love that these stores are becoming more inclusive because it means that kids, teens, and young adults will have the opportunity to find clothing that truly fits them at a young age.
- Talbots: Talbot’s has an exclusive petite plus size line.
- Eloquii: Eloquii used to sell petite clothing, but they haven’t offered the option in a while. However, I find that a lot of their ankle pants fit me perfectly and you can order some work pants in a petite inseam.
- Old Navy: You can select a short inseam when you shop plus size pants from Old Navy.
- American Eagle: Similarly to wearing Torrid jeans, American Eagle curvy jeans can also be ordered in a short or petite inseam.
- Macy’s: Macy‘s is a great place to shop for plus size work pants that are also petite as they carry brands like JM Collection, Style & Co., Alfani, and Karen Scott.
- Madewell: Madewell offers a petite or short inseam option for their plus size jeans.
- Avenue: If you need plus size jeans or work pants that are petite, Avenue has a wide selection of pants that were made with your figure in mind!
- Land’s End: If you are in need of long sleeves or jackets with shorter arms, Land’s End plus sizes is the perfect place to find basic staples that will hug your curves just right.
- Loft: While Loft doesn’t offer petite sizing for their plus size clothing line, their petite sizes do go up to an XXL and a size 18.
|Natalie wears wide leg pants from Eloquii that were hemmed by a tailor to fit.|
How to dress your body
If you are new here and aren’t very familiar with me…Hi, my name is Natalie and I believe in fashion without rules! If you search the internet for ways to dress your body, there will be thousands of articles telling you how to hide your body. However, I believe that you should wear whatever you feel the most comfortable and confident in.
There is no wrong way to dress your body, but here are some of the “rules” or “priorities” I keep top of mind when I am shopping for new clothing:
- Look for pants that are fitted throughout and have a short inseam or an ankle fit.
- Roll pants that are too long to fit just above the ankle.
- Knee high and wide calf over the knee boots are sexy and fun! You should wear them with jeans, leggings, skirts, and mini dresses. (side note: never let anyone tell you that you are too short to wear these!)
- Turn any top into a crop top by knotting it or tucking it in. This style makes my legs look longer and I think it’s a great way to boost confidence.
- Find a comfortable pair of heels that don’t have a larger heel height than 2 inches. These can give you an extra boost when you are wearing pants that might be a little too long.
- When you are shopping for plus size maxi dresses and mini dresses, check to see if there are petite plus dresses so that you are sure to get a length that fits you perfectly.
- Don’t let silly fashion rules hold you back from embracing the styles you love.
Shop 6 brands who sell plus size and petite dresses
Stay in touch!
You can also keep up with me, Natalie in the City, on my blog or on Instagram. Since I am 5’2 and a size 18, you may find some inspiration in the way I style my outfits. Most of the clothing I wear isn’t from a special plus size and petite line. It’s usually from the plus size brands you shop from today. I promise to always be transparent about sizing and how I make certain garments work for my figure!
I hope this article was able to shed more light on this sizing term and category! You absolutely deserve to have clothing that fits you the way you want it to. You can browse the latest plus size jeans, leggings, work pants, loungewear, joggers, and more below! Happy shopping!
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to DM me on Instagram or send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org