|Natalie wears the plus size metallic mini dress with lace back from David’s Bridal|
One of the most common questions I get as a petite plus size fashion blogger is, “Where do you shop for petite plus size dresses?” It’s a great question because many plus size dresses may not fit our figure the way they would everyone else. Petite plus size figures are typically short and curvy, which means many dresses, skirts, and bottoms may be too long on the typical petite figure. So, not only am I going to share the best petite plus size brands that sell dresses, but I will also share more information on petite plus sizing.
What is petite plus size?
Are you wondering what is petite plus size and how to know if that’s you? Let’s talk about some of the characteristics that usually determine whether someone is petite. Petite women are usually shorter than 5’4. For example, I am 5’2. And yes, you can be petite REGARDLESS of your body shape! There is a common misconception that petite women are only thin and short. Plus size women wear a size 14 and up. There are also many different types of figures that make up the plus size bodies. Does this sound like you? Here are some other ways to determine if you are petite and plus size:
- You’re shorter than 5’4.
- You wear a size 14 or higher.
- Most jeans and pants are too long on you. You usually have to get most of your bottoms altered.
- Midi dresses and skirts fit more like maxis, while maxi dresses and skirts are too long.
- Many dresses fall at a strange length for you.
Why is petite plus size women’s clothing so hard to find?
As I am sure you know, plus sized women’s clothing is hard to find. While there are certainly many more plus size clothing brands today than there were five years ago, plus size women are still underserved. And as a subset of plus sizes, petite plus size women have an even harder time finding clothing. Most petite clothing sizes go up to a 12 or a 14 and completely exclude plus sizes altogether. Straight sizes usually start at a 00 and go up to a 12, and then plus sizes typically start at a size 14, but can also include a size 12 at some brands.
Having so many petite options stop at a size 12 or 14 portrays a large misconception that the petite woman only wears straight size clothing. However, as the average American woman becomes plus size and also stands under 5’4, brands will need to start creating petite or short options for plus size shoppers. The bottom line is that we all come in different shapes and sizes and no two plus size bodies look the same—especially when it comes to height.
Where to buy dresses
As I mentioned, it can be difficult to find petite plus sizes, but there are some incredible and trusted brands that do sell petite and plus size dresses, jeans, and skirts. Here are some of my favorite brands to shop for dresses!
- David’s Bridal: Whether you’re planning your wedding, looking for petite plus wedding guest dresses or you’re shopping for petite plus size mother of the bride dresses, David’s Bridal has you covered! David’s Bridal also has a fabulous selection of petite plus bridesmaid dresses. I personally love shopping at David’s Bridal for occasion wear!
- Amazon: If you are shopping for plus size petite dresses for special occasions, check out Amazon. From plus size cocktail dresses to petite plus size mother of the bride dresses, Amazon has a great selection of petite plus finds.
- Lane Bryant: If you’re looking for casual plus size petite dresses, Lane Bryant has very cute styles that were made with your short and curvy figure in mind. With sleeves being made shorter, inseams coming up by three inches and the chest, waist, and hip staying the same, Lane Bryant has petite plus down to a science.
- Talbots: High-quality fabric and material meet the perfect petite plus-sizing at Talbots. From plus size petite maxi dresses to midi dresses that fall at the perfect length, you will find a dress that’s perfect for any occasion.
- JCPenney: Shop the latest women’s plus size petite dresses from JCPenney where you will find trendy silhouettes at an affordable price!
- Cato: If you are shopping on a budget, you may want to check out these affordable petite plus size dresses from Cato.
I know how important it is to find clothing that fits and brands you can trust. Currently, these are the only brands that I can personally vouch for, but I will always keep my eye out for the latest dresses and brands. I will make sure to update this list as I come across new brands. If you have a brand that is tried and true and you would like to recommend them for this list, please email me at email@example.com!